Old December 17th 03, 05:05 AM
Jack Painter

"Andy Cowley" wrote Here are some interesting
links.
http://www.weighing-systems.com/Tech...Lightning1.pdf
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/NFP_780.html
http://www.kolacki.com/MIL-STD-464.htm

Excellent reading, thanks. And thanks to all who contributed. In all these
informative discussions, the precautions seem to be centered only around
towers. My HF antennas consist of 3 long wires and 1 dipole suspended from
and between pine trees, all some 80' in the air. Of course disconnecting
constantly in thunderstorm season works, but should the feedlines all be
connected to a ground system outside at time of disconnect? Is grounding a
dipole for instance just guaranteeing a fry job when there might have been
only dielectric-puncture? The latter is certainly an easer repair. I would
think grounding might help to disintegrate the Balun also - but you guys are
clearly the experts so I look forward to your advice.

As far as rooftop antennas go, I now plan a much better down conductor
system than the rado shack aluminum ground wires that probably melt just a
wee bit slower than solder ;-)

Jack
Virginia Beach