Old January 22nd 13, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom[_8_] Tom[_8_] is offline

Default Tonna 9 element 70cm yagi - feed method?

I am looking to cut an antenna for 70cm. I have seen lot of designs for the
dual band like Slim Jim or J Pole or Ladder Line. Lots online but they are
dual banders.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a single band 70cm antenna? I have
ladder line (450ohm) and I have RG8u coax with bnc connector on one end
(about 25ft.)

Any ideas for a single band 70cm? Can someone post a good link or good
dimension? I don't have a "Dip meter or antenna analyser".

Thanks

73s

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

Richard Ferryman;800950 Wrote:
I have come by a Tonna 9 element yagi for 430MHz to 440MHz. The driven

element is a folded dipole and has an n-type connector attached. SWR
looks
correct and it works but there is a slight skew to the radiation
pattern.
The n-type connector is potted in a plastic or epoxy and looks too small
have any sort of balanced to unbalanced device in it. I intend putting
ferrite choke on the feed cable to help. Tonna antennas have a good
reputation and I am surprised at the apparent feed method. Does anyone
know
if I have missed something?
Dick G4BBH

First you cannot check antenna resonance with a SWR meter, that only
tells the story of the feed line.
You need a dip meter or a antenna analyzer.

Second - you can use a loop, or a 1:1 Balun inline or beads..

My question is - what frequency do you want it for and what do you want
to do with it =- transmit or receive?

430 - 440 is not within the parameters of amateur radio for
repeaters....
You could talk simplex or work slow scan television and CW / Digital
modes and that is about it.

--
Channel Jumper