Old January 28th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Portable Microwave units for Emergency Communications

On 1/27/2013 1:38 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:36:49 EST, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

As for "automatic control" - this refers to control for licensed amateur
stations. It does NOT include allowing unlicensed operators to control
ham transmitters. You will still need a control operator to key the
transmitter - which means either someone on site or someone who can
otherwise tell when the transmitter needs to be keyed.

A non-ham can key (or the digital equivalent) a ham transmitter as
long as the control operator is "on duty and in control" to borrow, a
phrase from the radio broadcast services rules. We interpret that to
mean "in the room and aware of what's happening".

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

Sorry, Phil, but what you interpret doesn't count. It's what the FCC
interprets. However, I do agree with you that AS LONG AS A LICENSED HAM
IS IN CONTROL. This can mean "in the room and aware of what's
happening", as long as he can terminate the transmission (i.e. pull the
power switch).

Plus, if you were to read the whole thread, the comment was that there
would not have to be a ham at the location - which does match your
interpretation.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address