Old August 28th 04, 07:11 PM
Airy R. Bean

I'll make up some switches out of brass rod - what I
have in mind is something like a large banana plug & socket
combination activated by nylon or PTFE rods. (I don't envisage
one FG rotary switch - I'll do it with separate switches,
possibly with some interlocking along the lines of
old railway signal box practice - I've enough books here
on that subject!

Primary doodles indicate that the antenna could be left
permanently connected to the inductor and one of the C's,
except in the case of a "T" network when it needs to be
connected to the other end of the said C.

There won't be any relays. The vertical antenna to the base
of which the ATU will be directly coupled is about 10 ft from
the shack and what I have in mind to use is a series of
activating rods - cunningly hidden/faced by a small picket fence.

The only area of development I haven't yet sussed out is how
to pass the operating rods into and out of a sealed (to keep
out the rain) chamber. Perhaps something like the stern
gland of a ship's propeller shaft might come into play here.

"john jardine" wrote in message
The 'select 1 of 10' ATU would seem a grade 1 mechanical-electrical
juggernaut of switches, relays?, screening cans, adjustable inductors
(roller coasters?), variables caps, connectors and knobs. I wish you a
interesting journey :-).