Old August 28th 04, 07:28 PM
Paul Burridge

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:39:34 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:07:06 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Actually I've built *several* class C RF amps, John.

---
Intentionally???

Aha! very amusing. Most of them have been intentional, yes, but who
here can say they haven't ended up at some point with something they
hadn't bargained for?

However, I
wouldn't call any of them linear. You will be aware than linearity
starts to go out of the window when Class A slides into Class AB and
beyond.

---
Really? I'd _love_ to hear your explanation for why that "happens".

I won't bore you with explanations you're already well acquainted
with. But I'm still reeling from the revelation that you confused AM
with Class C. :-/

I've heard a lot of amps that sounded pretty good at both low and high
volumes, and in between, and they've almost all had class AB outputs.

I'm sure you have. But even class A isn't perfect. The pitfalls of
large-signal handling and all that. Do you know of an active device
with a *perfectly* linear transconductance between say 0 and 20V? No?
I thought not...
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.