Old August 28th 04, 07:20 PM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Burridge
wrote (in ooe1j0hk07082mnusi6nr5vqq0sntl0
) about 'How to bias a MOSFET amp?', on Sat, 28 Aug 2004:

It's an open invitation to John
Woodgate. ;-)

Oh, thank you, Paul. Remind me to invite you to explain something one
day.

People are using 'linear' in two different senses. For audio, in fact
for any amplifying stage with an **untuned load**, linearity requires
linearity of output current with respect to input voltage, (Class A
single ended or push-pull, Class B push-pull).

But with a **tuned load**, 'linearity' can be achieved even with Class C
biasing. This is why linearity in this case is defined as output power
being proportional to input power.

With a **tuned load**, the output power also depends more or less
linearly on the supply voltage, so amplitude modulation can be achieved
by varying the supply voltage.