Old February 4th 13, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Building Slim Jim for Air Band

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 02:25:15 +0000, Michiel Kappeyne
wrote:

- Antenna height dominates. It is hence a good thing I live in a
Manhattan apartment building at 250ft elevation, with a large window
facing West and an unobstructed view of New Jersey. (Of course I can
forget about listening to JFK or LGA.)

Ummm... you may have a different problem. Presumably, you're using an
indoor antenna as I doubt the windows open at the 250ft level. For
energy efficiency, such windows are coated with Titanium Dioxide and
other metallic coating designed to reflect infrared to improve the
energy efficiency of the HVAC system. Unfortunately, they also block
RF to varying degrees. If you're experiencing somewhat weak
reception, it might be the Low-E coating. Unless you can arrange for
antenna on the rooftop (unlikely), I can't offer a solution.

P.S. On a different note, I'll be putting a perfectly restored Sony
Pro80 in as-new operational and cosmetic condition on eBay in the next
couple of weeks.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann