Old February 10th 13, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Dual band antenna ???

wrote in message

My take on the Ringo Ranger is that it's a tolerable design, but not

the way it's being built.

I think they were OK for a simple and fairly cheap design, but
the Ringo Ranger 2 was a much better antenna than the regular
Ringo Ranger without the lower decoupling section.
I picked up a Ringo Ranger free years ago, and made my own radial
set which copied the commercial Ringo Ranger 2 design.

I tested it without the section, and with, and there was a huge
difference in the pattern. I'm talking in the multi S units range
with the local low angle signals I was testing with.
So there was obviously a large amount of skewing without the
decoupling section. With it, it was not a bad antenna at all,
and fairly low impact visually.

When the lower radials were added the Ringo was suspose to work much beter.
By that time, the Ringo had fallen out of favor around here so I do not know
how well they worked. Main thing is that adding the radials defeated the
purpose of the antenna, which was to eliminate the radials.