Old February 23rd 13, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_32_] Bob[_32_] is offline

Default Anyone here use an Ultimax100 end fed antenna?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:44:13 -0600, tom wrote:

On 2/22/2013 7:02 PM, Bob wrote:
I purchased an Ultimax100 end fed antenna, and am curious if anyone here has
used one before and if you have any advice on the best orientation for it,
horizontal, vertical, or slope? I checked eHam.net for reviews and they were
favorable, 4+'s and 5's.

Thanks,
Bob KB2ZGN

Looking at the description it requires an antenna tuner, which means you
are going to tune until matched anyway. That would mean that you can
mount it any way you'd like and then match it.

Your results will depend on the local environment. Whether it's a
sloper, or another configuration it will be catch as catch can since you
can (will? you didn't say) be using it on multiple bands.

If you plan to use it on multiple bands, higher and farther away from
other conductive things is better.

Sorry to give a non-answer but you didn't say if you were using it on
one band or many, or if you planned to trim it to resonance on a single
band.

And eHam reviews (as well as the rest) are worth what you pay for them.

tom
K0TAR

Thanks tom, and I apologize for not providing more details, I guess I just
didn't think before hand.

I will be using it with several radios, an IC-703+, (built in auto-tuner)
IC-706MKII and IC-7000, (LDG add-on auto-tuner for these last 2). The antenna
comes with a matching network in a sealed enclosure, and is very well built
using quality hardware. I also have an RF isolator to prevent common mode
current in the coax shield. The antenna is supposed to be capable of 3 to 54 MHz
with an antenna tuner, (I'm hoping to use as many bands as possible) and will
handle the legal limit of 1500 watts. Maybe I'll be better off with my AH-4 and
a random length wire antenna, but space is limited. That's why I'm trying this
one.

Thanks again tom, and 73,
Bob KB2ZGN