Old August 31st 04, 07:42 AM
Roy Lewallen

This comment reminded me of a High Current Horror Story related to me by
an older friend. In his youth he repaired radios, hi-fi systems, and the
like. One well-heeled customer had large, expensive speakers at the room
corners, with the hi-fi in the middle. He'd put the speaker wiring in
the walls. For connectors, he'd used ordinary mains AC power
receptacles, with matching cord and plug on each speaker.

When the repair was finished, my friend plugged the speaker back into
the outlet. He knew exactly what had happened the moment he plugged it
in when he heard a monstrous, deafening hum -- but even then it was too
late, the speaker was cooked. Let's see, 120^2 / 8(*) = . . . now,
that's LOUD!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

(*) and I suspect that the speaker impedance was somewhat lower yet at
60 Hz.

Rex wrote:

On 30 Aug 2004 07:38:34 -0700, (Mike Monett) wrote:

High Voltage Sparks and Arcs - cursor down to "Crane Tangles with a 46 kV Feeder..."

http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm

Wow. Spectacular videos. I cranked up the sound for maximum effect on
the 500KV one, and after several plays, one of my destop speakers walked
off the desk and fell on the floor.