Old September 1st 04, 03:43 AM
Scott W. Harvey

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:59:12 -0500, "truegridtz"
wrote:

Sounds like they are concerned with the same mess we have here with
computers and cells phones ending up in the dump.

Other WEEE info indicated that they are mainly concerned with dangerous
chemicles in batteries, etc. It does sound like the inspection process
would drive up the price of everything.

If this would force the manufacturers, particularly Chinese ones, to
pay more up front to cover the environmental impact of their
products, then it is a good thing, even if it means consumers will pay
more as well.

For too long, importers of this cheap crap have been permitted to
operate with scant concern about where their products will ultimately
end up. They have been able to price their wares artificially low
because the true cost of manufacturing and ownership is not borne by
them. Why should they care? They don't have to pay the costs of
disposal!

About four to six times a year, I go to our local dump to deposit
refuse that is the result of seasonal cleaning. Every time I am there,
I see an enormous dumpster that is just FILLED FILLED FILLED to over
the top with late-model electronic junk of every description. It makes
me sick.......These items are totally useless albatrosses. No one can
repair them, cannabilization for useful parts is almost impossible,
and disposal in an environmentally acceptable manner is quite
expensive.

IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

-Scott

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/