Old March 7th 13, 06:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Antenna Simulation in LTspice

On 3/7/2013 12:55 PM, Tauno Voipio wrote:
On 7.3.13 4:30 , rickman wrote:

Ok, but that is nothing like my application, receiving WWVB.

I'd still be wary of high Q. The antenna is, by definition, in close
interaction with its surroundings, and a high-Q thing is quickly
detuned.

At those low frequencies, the atmospheric and other outside noise is
far larger than the internal noise of an amplifier, so in my opinion,
the way to go is a loop tuned to 60 kHz with as low Q as easily comes
without extra attenuation and a good pre-amplifier. The preamp can
then contain a tuned interstage tank for interference suppression.

I understand. But this is intended to be *very* low power and I haven't
found an amp I can use that is in the low double digits uW power
consumption range. I plan to use no amp and go straight to digital.

--

Rick