Old March 9th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_32_] Bob[_32_] is offline

Default Coax question - are the "generic" versions of LMR-400 and LMR-400 Ultraflex as good as the "name brand" or is it not worth the savings?

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:21:35 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
Like the subject asks, are the "generic" versions of LMR-400 and LMR-400
Ultraflex as good as the "name brand" or is it not worth the savings? Time
for
new coax, so I wanted to get input from those who are familiar with both
before
buying either.

Thanks, and 73,
Bob KB2ZGN

Depends on what brands you are talking about being the 'generic' version. I
am using some of the Davis Buryflex that is similar to lmr400 ultra flex. I
like it very much and have ran the loss tests on it on 2 meters and 440 mhz
and it meets the specs. I have 4 runs of it to the beams on my tower
covering a tribander, 6, 2, and 440. They have been up about 5 years with
no noticable problems.

Thanks for all the information. Of course, when I said "name brand" I was
referring to the Times Microwave LMR-400 Ultraflex. As for the "generic" brands,
I have to apologize for not being able to give you specifics, I have seen
several different names referenced when searching, especially on eBay, but on
some other sites as well. I will be sure to look out for the Davis Buryflex the
next time I do a search. I plan on using it for 80m to 6m to one antenna, and 2m
and 70cm to another.

What gave me pause, and want to talk to those who may be familiar with this
issue, was the difference in prices. Times Microwave coax is easily 30 to 40
percent more expensive, and while I am not a cheep skate, neither would I like
to waste money if the difference is not warranted. I just checked out the Davis
site, http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php and for lengths less than 100 feet,
the price is 95¢/foot, and less than 499 feet is 89¢/foot, very good prices
compared to the Times Microwave prices. Looks like I need look no further.

Thanks again Ralph for your input, it is very much appreciated.

73, Bob KB2ZGN