Old March 9th 13, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Coax question - are the "generic" versions of LMR-400 and LMR-400 Ultraflex as good as the "name brand" or is it not worth the savings?

"Bob" wrote in message

Thanks for all the information. Of course, when I said "name brand" I was
referring to the Times Microwave LMR-400 Ultraflex. As for the "generic"
brands,
I have to apologize for not being able to give you specifics, I have seen
several different names referenced when searching, especially on eBay, but
on
some other sites as well. I will be sure to look out for the Davis
Buryflex the
next time I do a search. I plan on using it for 80m to 6m to one antenna,
and 2m
and 70cm to another.

What gave me pause, and want to talk to those who may be familiar with
this
issue, was the difference in prices. Times Microwave coax is easily 30 to
40
percent more expensive, and while I am not a cheep skate, neither would I
like
to waste money if the difference is not warranted. I just checked out the
Davis
site, http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php and for lengths less than 100
feet,
the price is 95¢/foot, and less than 499 feet is 89¢/foot, very good
prices
compared to the Times Microwave prices. Looks like I need look no further.

Thanks again Ralph for your input, it is very much appreciated.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

There are several things to look for in the coax. First look at the center
conductor. The larger the beter as that is where most of the loss is. Solid
wire will have slightly less loss, but if used with a rotator, it can flex
enough to break over the years. Then look at the shield, especially the
braid. It should be around 95% or beter. This is where the next loss is.
Most of the low loss coax has a foil type shield plus 95% or beter braid.
That applies for under 1000 Mhz anyway. Look at the velocity factor. The
low loss will normally be .80 or higher.

Davis BuryFlex is good. Belden is good, but stay away from the origional
9913. That hollow tube can fill with water if used outside. I had a couple
of runs of it up for about 10 years with no problems, but many have had
problems.

It pays to get some good coax as it should last for many years. In my case
I put up 4 beams on a tower and it is going to be a lot of trouble to
replace it if I ever have to.

At the priceof coax, you do want to spend a little more, but no need to pay
more than needed.

Also get some good connectors. Especially the ones going next to the
antenna as they are hard to replace.