Old March 10th 13, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Antenna connector corrosion

In message , Paul Drahn
writes
On 3/8/2013 2:24 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Alconox isn't going to do anything except temporarily clean the grease
and crud off the surface of the aluminum. It's really good stuff for
many things, but not for preventing corrosion.

I have in my eBay wish list a tub of conductive grease for antenna
connections.

I've never quite gotten around to buying it. :-)

Does it do any good?

Supposedly you use it like the antioxidant grease for aluminum power
wiring, except this is for antenna connectors. It gets in the threads
and resists water.

Geoff.

Don't bother. It the world's worst dust collector! Then it's really
hard to get the combination off when you take the joint apart.

One of best ways of preventing corrosion of connectors and connections
is to give then a good waft of WD40 before, during and after assembly
(don't go mad, but don't be too mean), wipe off 'not too well' with a
cloth lightly impregnated with some WD40 (ie slightly oily), and tape up
tightly with self-amalgamating tape. The connection will last for ever.
--
Ian