Old March 10th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Alan Alan is offline

Default Novice Reflections

In article Foxs Mercantile writes:
If you've been licensed long enough to belong to the QCWA, then
you probably got your start in Amateur radio via the Novice Class
license.

What was your first antenna? If you were licensed in the '50s or
earlier, probably a doublet antenna, open wire line and a tuner.

Inverted V.

But, from the mid '60s and later, you were probably sold a bill of
goods commonly referred to as a vertical antenna. You follow the
instructions, measure everything twice borrow an swr meter from
your Elmer, it's tuned up perfectly, but.... It just doesn't work.

How many prospective hams did we lose to this marketing trick?

How many had it work, and be quietly successful in space where there
wasn't the opportunity to string a dipole at a reasonable elevation?

Guess what folks, they're still at it pushing vertical antennas that
don't work.

"But I don't have room for a dipole"
Then you don't have room for radials either and your vertical won't
work.

Well, not quite true. One may not have room at elevation because
supports for the ends of the dipole are impossible. The dipole may
be impossible due to proximity to power lines, or other obstructions.

The ground system of a vertical can be hidden on or slightly under
the apparent surface. Since it doesn't need to be supported by end
supports, it can be installed in lots of places where a dipole is not
possible.

"I can hear all over the world, but I need an amplifier to transmit."
People get DXCC running 5 watts, there's something wrong with
your antenna if it takes 1 KW to be heard.

This part is true. If your antenna provides 20 dB loss compared to
another, your receiver won't generally hear the difference on HF (which
is atmospheric noise limited). The S-meter will not go as far over,
and the AGC will adjust, but the signal/noise of the received stations
will be pretty much the same.

On transmit, however, your 100 watts would put out a signal equivalent
to 1 watt using the "good" antenna. At the far end, you are 20 dB lower
than the other guys. If they were delivering a 15 dB s/n, yours will be
-5 dB --- you won't be heard.

While I don't chase DX, once I learned this lesson, I was able to work
it with 5 watts or less.

Alan
wa6azp