Old March 12th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Novice Reflections

On 3/9/2013 10:29 AM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
If you've been licensed long enough to belong to the QCWA, then
you probably got your start in Amateur radio via the Novice Class
license.

What was your first antenna? If you were licensed in the '50s or
earlier, probably a doublet antenna, open wire line and a tuner.

But, from the mid '60s and later, you were probably sold a bill of
goods commonly referred to as a vertical antenna. You follow the
instructions, measure everything twice borrow an swr meter from
your Elmer, it's tuned up perfectly, but.... It just doesn't work.

How many prospective hams did we lose to this marketing trick?

I know what you're thinking, "Marketing trick?" Yes, consider the
salesman at the local radio store. The focus in sales is to maximize
profits. Which is going to contribute to the bottom line better. 65'
of #14 wire and 3 egg insulators or a 4-band trapped vertical, a
40' push up mast, 130' of #14 wire and 8 egg insulators?

Guess what folks, they're still at it pushing vertical antennas that
don't work.

"But I don't have room for a dipole"
Then you don't have room for radials either and your vertical won't
work.

"But so and so's DXpedition uses verticals."
Did you notice they were on the beach 3' from the ocean?

"I can hear all over the world, but I need an amplifier to transmit."
People get DXCC running 5 watts, there's something wrong with
your antenna if it takes 1 KW to be heard.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Yup, I "fell" for the hype. Didn't quite get WAS (actually didn't try
that hard - I prefer rag chewing). But I worked Australia with 100W SSB
from Iowa, as well as much of Europe and South America with my Hy-Gain
18-AVQ. Spent a fair amount of time on the 75M Iowa SSB Net, also.

I wonder how I could have done if I had added some radials.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address