Old March 13th 13, 04:20 PM
richard8123 richard8123 is offline
Junior Member

Default Converting from hollow to solid state

I have a turret drum that came from an old boatanchor (Murphy B40D).

Here is the front-end schematic:

http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/boats/schem1.jpg

I want to use this drum, but I want to employ transistors not valves.

Now today, I presume we can select a transistor to replace a valve, and it will be as good as, if not better than the old valve.

Any recommendations for suitable transistors for the local oscillator and the rf amplifiers? I'm trying not to have to modify the circuitry inside the drum.
Thanks.

Edit1: I'm thinking of using the hollow state circuitry after the Front-End. Best way to maintain the excellent audio of this receiver.

Edit2: I probably should draw out the tuned circuits only that are in the drum, post a link, and draw comments from that. Hopefully then a solid-state circuit can be built up.

Last edited by richard8123 : March 13th 13 at 04:30 PM