Old March 13th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester[_2_] Howard Lester[_2_] is offline

Default Novice Reflections

wrote

Most verticals need radials, and the radials must be installed properly 4
adials are not good practice. My 20 some radial setup was not ideal, but
in
to diminishing returns. Since I installed them over time, I was able to
not
ice that the signals were not getting any louder, a rough and ready test
of
efficiency.

But verticals do work.

Yes, they do, when properly installed and configured --- according to all I
have read. ;-) (I have never used a vertical on HF.) Wasn't it Jerry
Sevick who years ago experimented with raised vs. buried radials? My
recollection (not to be trusted) is that four *elevated* 1/4 wave radials
work well. But if you cannot elevate them and must lay them on the ground or
bury them, then you need... a lot of them. I forget if he used 96 or 120 of
them.... Of course there are diminishing returns, and Michael's 20-radial
arrangement should be plenty adequate - as he demonstrated. In any case, you
just have to get the near field to become highly conductive for a vertical
to perform as it should.

Howard N7SO