Old September 4th 04, 08:58 AM
Roy Lewallen

Gad, I haven't seen carbon tet for sale in this country for decades. It
can seriously damage internal organs and the nervous system, so I
wouldn't use the stuff even if you could find some. You can get other,
less toxic (although not non-toxic) solvents like toluene or acetone
that can do about the same job at paint and DIY stores.

I've had very good luck using WD-40 for the purpose, though. It's a very
good solvent, can find its way in through the small gap around a shaft
or other places, and leaves a lubricating film on the element. Variable
resistor wipers and switch and connector contacts don't seem to have any
trouble cutting through the lubricating film to make good contact.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Mike W wrote:
On 04 Sep 2004 04:00:55 GMT, (PDRUNEN) wrote:

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

WD40 or Carbon Tetra-chloride ?