Old July 25th 03, 02:38 AM
Peter Brackett

Mark:

[snip]
Myself, I think using a high wattage gun is one of the most important
parts. It's hard to get them hot enough with a small 30-50?? watt gun.
To properly solder, you have to get the shell itself hot enough to
melt the solder. Otherwise, you have a cold joint. But, on the other
hand, you also don't want to sit there for 8 min trying to get it hot
enough, when in the meantime the coax melts into a blob. So you have
to get in and out fast. A hot gun is the only way. I've been using a
150 w for quite a few years and it seems big enough unless you are
outside in the wind.

[snip]

Agreed!

If you are just getting a new iron for coax connector work, go for a big
fat 200 Watt job. It not only gets the temperature correct for perfect
joints,
but because it is big it can supply a lot of heat quickly without
temperature
drop and that's the secret to great PL259 connector soldering jobs.

The 200 Watts ensures that you can do connectors quickly and
with quality even out doors on field day with the wind blowing.

Dont' fuss, don't worry...

Just do it right!

A Big Fat 200 Watt iron makes soldering coax to PL259's dead simple!

--
Peter K1PO
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL.