Old April 20th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
George Cornelius[_3_] George Cornelius[_3_] is offline

Default AM Station by my house, anything I can do?

wrote:
Hehe... Google pulls up all kinds of stuff, even this decade-old thread.

I also live in Garland, and when I turn my computer speakers' volume all
the way up, I can hear KRLD on them - but only while my hand is still on
the volume dial. As soon as I break physical contact with the speaker,
it goes silent. Sometimes it picks up reception all on its' own, which
really freaked me out while I'm in bed or another room... until I figured
out what it is. I think it's kind of cool, but KRLD will hook you up
with a signal blocker if you request it - or you could get something at Radioshack.

Traditional solution: blocking circuit in the feed line. Thatsa lotta blocking.
But if you're not AM dxing you have a bit more hope since it's likely the harmonics
and the odd mixer products (heterodynes) that you'll be trying to remove.

Hard to do a highly directional antenna that covers a lot of shortwave bands
(lotsa bucks) but something like that would be a start. And you can use tuned
lengths of coaxial feedline to try to null out some of the signal without
going to the bother of building or buying a fancy nulling device. Neither
of these is likely to solve the problem outright, though.

You _could_ put a Software Defined Radio in another county and access
it via the 'net. Don't know if they have scanner versions, but the
devices can be quite versatile, so why not?

As far as non-radios picking up radio signals, buy higher quality
equipment or have someone electronics savvy insert bypass caps and
other items as described in the ARRL Handbook. If it comes in via
RCA/S-Video get higher class cables and add ferrite beads (there
are snap-on varieties that do not require surgery on the cable),
at least at the end that's nearest your equipment's inputs. May
also have to do the power cords, maybe in conjunction with a high
quality surge suppressor at the wall.

Get to be friends with the transmitter engineer. Can't hurt, and
if you're on good terms he may know of a few things you might try.

On Thursday, October 3, 2002 6:32:01 PM UTC-5, RaZ0r! wrote:
This might be slightly off topic but I know if anyone knows what to do it
would some of you all.

I have an AM radio station VERY close to my house. Less then a quarter mile.

I hear the station in my computer speakers, my telephone headset, etc. Also
on my television, anything connected via RCA or S-Video jacks gets bad
interference like diagonial lines. I have cable TV, and it seems to resist
the signal better.

I was wonder if there was anything I could do to combat this?

I just a casual scanner user, so I'm not real expericenced in radio. If you
do have any suggestions, please go easy on me with the high tech radio stuff
hehe.

--
RaZ0r!
Tweak Monkey & Gaming Extraordinare =)