Old September 9th 04, 03:13 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm for what is on various SWL freq.
segments and bands, including the 3-4 Mhz segment...

I just gave a talk on SWLing as an entry to amateur radio for our club:
see http://people.smu.edu/arc/swlfun.doc for handout
see http://people.smu.edu/arc/swlfun.ppt for talk powerpoint slides
*see http://people.smu.edu/arc/shortwave.html SWL radios for future hams

depending on your goals, you may find the comparison(*) of $50 spent on a
kit shortwave radio (ramsey SR-1 2 Mhz AM only kit) vs. degen 1103 digital
dial 0.1-30Mhz AM/SSB/CW radio interesting, esp. if $$ and performance are
important, and your major interest is not homebrewing but SWL listening?

That said, the first thing I ordered after getting the above radio was the
$10 converter kit from Jackson Harbor Press kits for an ELF/VLF (10-300
Khz) including 10 Mhz crystal (For marker, timebase..) to compliment a
VLF beacon transmitter we are designing and building ;-)

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *