Old May 2nd 13, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default DX-100 or Apache?

Roger wrote:
Another possible choice is the Johnson Viking I and II. Both 100 watt
rigs that cover 160m but require an external VFO.

There are literally hundreds of different transmitters out there that will
fit the bill, and to be honest a lot of them are much better made than the
Heathkits which always seemed kind of marginal to me.

Everybody from Hallicrafters and Globe King on up to Collins made something
like that.

I have to say, though, that the Vikings are really hard to beat. They are
steady as a rock, the power supply is seriously overdesigned, and they are
well-cooled. There are hundreds of small shortwave broadcasters in South
America using the things with the key down 24 hours a day with no rest, and
they just run and run. Audio quality is superb. You can add a modern
synthesized VFO or the original Johnson VFO (which is pretty stable) or
a crystal.
--scott