Old May 2nd 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default DX-100 or Apache?

Michael Black wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2013, Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Brian Burns wrote:

Disregard my post. The Apache does have plate modulation,
I was confusing it with another transmitter.

But it was a valid point to check. Most SSB transmitters used low level
modulation for AM, so the Apache then becomes a relatively uncommon item,
an SSB rig that does plate modulation for AM. That tends to make it a
better choice, since it does SSB too.

Let me guess: this approach gives you higher output power on AM since the
final can be operated class C, but it doubles the weight of the transmitter
with that huge modulation transformer?
--scott