Old May 4th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom[_8_] Tom[_8_] is offline

Default Scanner antenna ???

Yes, I have the tower and have a bracket that extends to the side about 4 ft
and this antenna will be at the end of that extension.

Realistic 2037.

I see those links for those scanner antennas and think that one from 25 mhz
to 1000 ish is suitable.

I see a lot of them have ground planes or are all those elements part of the
center wire in the bnc?

I have an old 2m 70cm diamond antenna with gnd planes, Suppose that would
work also? But someone gave it to me because it didn't work so might take a
closer look at it.

thx
73s

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 May 2013 08:26:09 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

I have the Realistic Programmable scanner with 200 programable channels. A
lot of range there like 6 m, 2 m, 70 cm, marine, etc etc etc, wide range.

Realistic scanners have model numbers. Could I trouble you to
disclose the exact model number? Do you have a tower?

I want to put up an external antenna that I can hook it up to its own BNC
connection for external antenna. I believe the higher the better.

Forget about using long wire antennas as a scanner antenna. At
VHF/UHF, long wires look more like big RF chokes. It's unlikely to
hear much connected to an HF antenna.

There are numerous scanner antennas on the market. If you have a
tower for your HF antenna, you also should have room for a discone,
"spider", trapped vertical, or something similar. I don't know
exactly what to recommend as broadband antennas are always a
compromise between gain, bandwidth, vertical radiation takeoff angle,
size, etc. Something on this list should work (except for the
handheld and mobile scanner antennas).
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants.html
RG-58a/u or RG-58c/u to between the scanner and antenna will probably
need to purchases seperately. Attach your own BNC or UFH connectors.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D