Old September 13th 04, 02:16 AM
G.Beat

"Craig" wrote in message
. ..
I am wanting to build a 24 volt power supply for a project I am working on.
I was wanting to know if anyone would have a schematic for such a power
supply. The power supply needs to be atleast 25 amp. If you can help me
please send me an email to

Thank you,

Craig Clark - N5XNQ
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-n5xnq

Craig -

The ARRL Handbook has featured a "How To" 28 / 24 volt high current power
supply in every ARRL Handbook since 1989 - yes I checked its even in the
2004 version. Mark Wilson, AA2Z built the first one at ARRL labs in 1980s.

Gary makes very good points about linear vs. switching power supplies.

If you wish to build a linear power supply, it is fairly straight forward.
You will need a large transformer than has a secondary in the range of 30 to
36 volts AC at 25 amps.

Heat sink design and size (heat transfer of 625 watts - which is not a small
issue -- think small kitchen cooking appliances)

Some reference sites for building a linear power supply. You can adopt 13.8
VDC designs by remembering that the voltage is double -- and sizing for
current(amperage). The LM723 serves as the "reference voltage" in these
designs. A broken power supply (bad transformer) is a great start - case,
heat sink, etc.

David Metz's theory and building hints
http://www.seits.org/features/pwrsup.htm

KBT DC supplies
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/index.php

Astron schematics (largely 13.8 vdc, but may have a 24 vdc one in listings)
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/astron-index.html

SWITCH MODE SUPPLIES
http://www.hills2.u-net.com/electron/smps.htm

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/9643/