Old May 19th 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default DX-100 or Apache?

Brian Burns wrote:

As for audio modifications to improve fidelity--which AM'ers seem to want t=
hese days--Electric Radio magazine has a series of 3 articles describing a =
couple of levels of modification. June, July, and August 1998, and they hav=
e been used to good effect by no less than one of our favorite highly criti=
cal curmudgeons, who shall remain nameless (;-)...

Let me warn you against doing this. Not because it will devalue the radio
(which it might, but if you keep the parts you or someone else can always
undo it). Not because it sounds bad, because it sounds pretty good.

If you have an unmodified Viking, it sounds like a Viking on the air, and
people will stop and say, "Hey, I can tell you're on a Viking, it sounds
great!" If you open it up, it will just sound like every other wideband
radio out there.

And yes, the wider bandwidth means poorer copy under marginal conditions and
adjacent channel interference under crowded conditions. Those may not
bother you because most folks aren't going to be running AM under either
of those extremes anyway.

But the Viking is just a great-sounding radio with a distinct sound and
it seems a shame to lose that.
--scott