Old May 29th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default 2 meter commercial dipole.

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a 2m commerical dipole? Cushcraft used to make a 4
dipole phased array for tower use. I only want one.

I know it is a simple antenna to make, but in my case it is something
I have to pay someone to put up (even if it is on an awning over a
balcony)
and it has to survive wind and sandstorms, direct sunlight at 3,000 feet
altitude, and 6 months of the year extremely low humidity.

I want a dipole because a beam would be too obvious and attract attention,
and I want it horizontally polarized.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Geoff.

Look at this horizontal loop.
http://www.aesham.com/uhf/m2-antennas-2m-ho-loop/

Very similar to a dipole and I think it is omni directional where a dipole
willbe directional.

Goeff-

Ralph's suggestion appears to the best so far.

Another approach might be to use one of those "Make a dipole out of a
pair of mobile whips" adapters, but you would still need to find quarter
wave whips. In other words, it is not a "commercial dipole"

One problem you are faced with, is that the dipole needs to be in the
clear, and therefore may be too obvious for your needs. It may not work
very well if it is on an awning with a metal frame.

Speaking of metal frames, one stealth antenna might be the awning frame
itself, if you can find a way to match it to your feedline. Perhaps a
gamma match would work at the midpoint of a horizontal portion. Again,
not a "commercial dipole"!

Fred
K4DII