Old June 7th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. C. Mc Laughlin[_2_] J. C. Mc Laughlin[_2_] is offline

Default Backpacking antenna question (Was: Test)

Dear David: Delighted that you are back in the game! Love your new call.
1. I have run EZNEC 5+ on a micro computer that uses Atom uP and MS XP OS.
That computer cost about $350. Even less expensive devices exist. The
computer I have can be coupled into projector (VGA) so that I can give
presentations. Pont is: Since you enjoy using math and NEC, do consider
the incremental cost of a minimal computer. Of course, I have a dedicated
computer (not ever connected to the Internet) where I do serious work much
more quickly than with the little fellow.

2. With the exception of 28 MHz (where you might wish to consider a
conventional 0.5WL dipole), I estimate that five turns of RG 174 around a
big Type 31 core will cool most of the outside-of-the-coax current. You
might have the mechanical conditions to allow two or three turns through a
small Type 31 right at the feed point.

3. When younger, I used extensive amounts of RG174 for invisible antennas.
It is possible to damage the coax, though it is strong enough to use as a
garrote.

Again, it is delightful to have you back in action. 73 Mac N8TT

David, VE7EZM

--
David Ryeburn

J. C. Mc Laughlin