Old September 17th 04, 12:58 AM
Martin Potter

"Jer" ) writes:
If you would 'google' it up, you would find that the military prempts the
FCC and can operate just about anywhere they want without 'permission' from
the FCC. I found some military stuff right in the middle of our 450 band a
couple years ago, and challenged the operator.

In general, the military everywhere like to rely on Article 38 of the ITU
Conventions.

The first para of Article 38 pretty much says the military radio
installations of any country can do whatever they want.

But the second para says "Nevertheless these installations must so far as
possible observe statutory provisions relative to ... the measures to
be taken to prevent harmful interference [to other services] ..."

Many military people are like other people I know (present company
excepted of course HI) - as soon as they find something they like, they stop
reading, so they never get to the second paragraph of Article 38.

It may be worth reminding them occasionally that ITU Article 38 is not a
blank cheque.

.... Martin VE3OAT