Old June 26th 13, 06:22 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

And so Jeff speaks.

Jeff - the radiation pattern of a 1/4 wave antenna pancakes compared to a longer antenna, but you cannot use weather radio as a barometer to measure how efficient a antenna works.

Weather radio is broadcast in such a way that a signal is available to most people within a 40 mile radius circle from each transmitter - at least in Western Pennsylvania. The signals here - about 350 watts at the transmitter - is enough that a simple table top radio or a cheap bubble pack GMRS radio will usually receive it - even with a 4 inch antenna.

However - when working any type of DX - you best better bring your A game or go home. You are not going to net much with a simple 1/4 wave antenna on VHF frequencies when the bands are not wide open.

This man wants to replace his mobile antenna with something better, but does not want to take the advice of his radio technician - because he thinks the guy is ripping him off.

The bottom line is - most people involved in communications doesn't just start selling radios without any type of formal education.
Even if the only education the person received was from the Military, it is usually based on sound practices and principals.

I don't usually deal with anyone that carries their money in a snapper purse.

If someone wants to tell me how to do something that I have been doing for 40 years - I just walk away.
I laugh at these so called roadside CB radio shops that sells all this garbage to these CB radio guys, including their peek n tunes - which does nothing except reduce the life of the radio.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...