Old June 27th 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default 6 meter antenna ideas.....

On 6/27/2013 12:43 PM, Wayne wrote:

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message ...

On 6/27/2013 12:05 PM, Wayne wrote:
Needs to be either in the attic, or on a metal patio cover.
A vertical on top of a 20 foot pole "might" be possible.

Currently I am using a 1/4 wave vertical mag mount on top of a metal
patio cover. I also have a half wave dipole in the attic.

So, any ideas for something better?

Wayne
W5GIE

# I built a 6 meter cubical quad for the June VHF contest. Wood frame with
# real bamboo spreaders. Rotate with a TV antenna rotator. Worked great
# till the rains started. Wires are resting directly on the bamboo. SWR
# when wet is 4.9:1. Dry way 1.1:1. Weather getting hot and dry again, so
# hope it returns to what it was.

# Also fabricating parts for a 6 meter Moxon antenna.

# Either antenna can be vertically or horizontally polarized. I prefer
# horizontal for SSB.

# Paul, KD7HB

Hadn't thought about the Moxon.

I hesitate to mention this, but some years ago a group regular was
touting a 10 meter cubical quad using fractal elements. A 6 meter
version might almost fit in the attic.

You may have surmised by now that my possibilities for a decent antenna
are severely limited.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. I was using a 160 meter horizontal loop
for 6 meters before the quad.

Google for "KG4JJH 6 moxon" and you will find a lot of references,
including a PDF of an April 2004 QST article.

KD7HB