Old June 28th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 6 meter antenna ideas.....

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:46:19 -0700, "Wayne"
wrote:

I guess I wasn't specific on the interests. So far, just CW and SSB. I
have mostly been getting a HF 7-28 Mhz antenna set up. Now I'm looking at
6.

Well, you can ignore most of what I scribbled. Welcome to horizontal
polarization. My guess(tm) is that a horizontal yagi or dipole in the
attic is going to have problems due to all the wiring and possibly
conduit in the attic. A vertical is at least mostly away from the
wiring, but a horizontal antenna lands right in the middle of the
mess. There's also the not so wonderful noise produced by electronic
ballasts, LED lighting inverters, and ceiling fans. I guess(tm) that
an outside cross polarized vertical or loop antenna would work better
than anything horizontal inside the attic.

A rotary array would be difficult in the attic, but switched directive
arrays may be possible.

Or, a non-rotating electrical wire horizontal yagi between the
rafters. There are also temporary antennas that can be rolled out
when needed, and hidden when the neighbors arrive in force:
http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/6mRopeYagi.htm
Because all of the CW/SSB action is at the very bottom of the band, a
narrow bandwidth antenna works just fine.

Time to spend some effort with EZNEC.

I suggest 4NEC2 instead:
http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/
The program includes a substantial number of common antenna models to
plagiarize.

Dual 5/8 wave 50 Mhz vertical (without matching xformer):
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/gnd-plane-02/index.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D