Old June 30th 13, 04:24 PM
nicktusa nicktusa is offline
Junior Member

Location: Covington, LA
Default Johnson Desk Kilowatt Question

Help!

Last week I rescued a Johnson Desk Kilowatt (s/n 100031) from an outdoor metal storage shed in Rhode Island. It made a stop at the W9DYV Boatanchor Field Day in Jonesborough, TN but now resides in sunny South Louisiana. Here is the problem: the desk is complete except it is missing the center pencil drawer. It appears the drawer would be about 27-inches wide and no more than about 22 inches deep. I’ve learned these steel desks are called airline “tanker” desks and were made by several companies in the 40s and 50s. The killer is there is no identification on any part of the desk or pedestal that suggests what company actually made it. If anyone knows for sure who did, I would appreciate a note. I am trying to find a suitable drawer so I can send the whole pedestal and desk out for some body work and paint and can’t without the center pencil drawer.

This looks to be an easy restoration as all of the iron is intact as well as the cosmetic stuff…even down to the RF panel cover plate.

73 Nick K5EF