Old September 21st 04, 12:12 AM
gwatts

John Walton wrote:
conditions are probably going to be hot, dusty, humid, full of critters --
and battery operation essential --

A few more details might be necessary, like 'how much rig?', 'how much
battery available?' and the eternal 'how much money?'.

There are some nice, multiband rigs that do HF, VHF and UHF. If the
Corps is sending the volunteer someplace where VHF and UHF aren't used
there's not much point in getting that capability, but in some places
having VHF/UHF used by the local gov't UHF/VHF capability, even
'bootlegged,' could save someone's life.

Yaesu has a HF/VHF/UHF rig designed for low power use,
The FT-817 http://tinyurl.com/wsat

Icom has an HF low power rig:
Icom IC-703 http://www.icom.co.jp/world/info/ic-703/index.html

Low power could be hard to get through with, if there is power from a
vehicle battery or similar a 100 watt rig could be used,
http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/706mkIIg/
I have a Yaesu FT-857D in my vehilce, http://tinyurl.com/vkp3

and these are all backpack/mobile radios, a little more rugged than
normal. There are other manufacturers, these I have experience with.

I said 'bootlegged' meaning that there are ways to remove the amateur
band transmit frequency limits on pretty much all these radios, a radio
sold in America has the American limits, German radios have German
limits, if you're out in the jungle or in some small, remote village the
laws and their enforcement may be different and the local authority
might actually appreciate another communiucation point in their
jurisdiction (spoken from personal experience) but be certain.

A good antenna is essential, even the best radio is junk without a good
antenna. Good antennas don't have to be expensive, they can be made
from wire, it would be very valuable to check in to that as well.

That's all I can say right now, supper's waiting,
Galen, W8LNA