Old September 22nd 04, 12:10 PM
Scott

Just curious, had the rig ever been used mobile? I had my TS690 mobile
for a while and saw how badly it shook around and pulled it out and put
it back into home use, sitting on a nice and stable table with no
astronaut crippling g-loads. I like the rig too much to have kept
beating it up in the truck. I bought a much smaller (thus easier to get
solid mounting) Yaesu 857 for the truck and it seems to fair much better
than the large (heavy) Kenwood did in that environment...

Scott
N0EDV

Robert Casey wrote:

Was Q37's leads to the IF circuit board. Somehow it
developed circular cracks in the solder joint from
the leads to the board. It kept the rig from going
into transmit. It was just a control line level
shifter or inverter.

Oddly enough I had just finished installing a new
wire dipole strung between trees on my house's
quarter acre lot. Something vaguely resembling a
80 meter dipole with a W2AU balun at the feedpoint.
I thought that I somehow toasted
the xmit part of the rig with a bad antenna, but the
rig has self protection circuits. I don't think bad
solder joints on a control line transistor would be
caused by a new antenna.... :-)

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/