Old September 25th 04, 04:02 AM
Michael St. Angelo

I'd stay away from tube gear. The switches and tube sockets may be
intermittend after all these years and it's impossible finding some of the
replacement tubes. In addition, the analog local oscillators will drift in
the heat and humidity.

I'd recommend the latest generation of transceivers that emplou DDS/PLL
synthesizers. If you require 100watt transmit power, I'd look at the Yaesu
FT-897 or FT-857. They have moderate receive current consumption and the 897
will run from internal batteries (with 20 watts output). In addition, they
operate 6 M, 2M and 70 cM.

If 10 watts will suffice. I'd look at the ICOM IC-703.

Put them through their paces before you travel with them. The 703 has
problems with the driver stages failing; get the bugs fixed under warranty
before traveling.

These are Amateur radio transceivers and I'm assuming you have a license and
will get a reciprocal license for the country you intend to operate from.

Which country will you be working in? Good luck.

Regard's

Mike N2MS