Old July 17th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rich Greenberg Rich Greenberg is offline

Default DX-100 or Apache?

In article ,
wrote:
Having had both a Johnson Viking 2 and a Heath Apache and even a DX
100 that never worked, In my opinion the Apache was the most solidly
built. For a rig with a pair of 6146es The Apache was the heaviest and
seemed to just have the best quality! And I love Johnson too. Also If
you're really into understanding the different classes of amplifier the
SSB adapter takes the buffer output and feeds it thru a genuine phasing
type SSB modulator operating at final frequency and feeds SSB exitation
back to the 6146s operating in class AB, about 12 watts worth of drive.
I have fed its output directly into a dipole on 40M and workied Denver
from LA. You could use THEAPACHE as a Linear as well. Its a rather
unique and very stable rig. JIM Temporarily expired. BB Soon.

I used to have a Viking 2, and one of its advantages over other rigs of
that time was that given the roller inductor, it could be used well
outside of the (then) ham bands. This means you can use it on the newer
ham bands. At the time I had it, the newer bands did not yet exist, but
a few of the MARS frequencies I operated on were well outside of the
(then) ham bands.

--
Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097
Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L