Old August 6th 13, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Questions about an Icom IC-9100 with D-Star

I think I'm in over my head, trying to get D-Star to work with a new
IC-9100. My basic question is, how can I tell if the UT-121 D-Star
module is working?

Mine has the UT-121 installed. I can access menu M3, and everything
appears to work as far as programming is concerned. HOWEVER anytime I
transmit, the transmitter locks up. The only way I found to stop it
from transmitting is to turn off the radio. Listening to the output on
another FM radio, there is no modulation.

When tuned to a local D-Star repeater, a digital transmission causes
the radio's DV symbol to flash. Then the FM symbol starts flashing and
the DV symbol stops. There is never any indication of having received
data and the digital squelch never opens.

Questions:

1. If my UT-121 is working, what is the minimum that must be programmed
to get D-Star to work? Although I have entered data for the local
repeater, I think it should work with only MY and a UR of CQCQCQ in
order to transmit on a simplex frequency.

2. What happens when the DV mode is selected on an IC-9100 that does
NOT have the UT-121 installed? Does it ever show menu M3 when the MENU
button is pressed several times?

3. If Menu M3 does appear, can the various parameters (MY, UR, etc.) be
programmed?

4. If the microphone push-to-talk is pressed, does the transmitter lock
up, or does it stop transmitting when push-to-talk is released?

I have searched the web and found lots of helpful info on D-Star, but
nothing specific to my problem with an IC-9100. The radio is working
well in other modes.

Fred
K4DII