Old August 8th 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default LED Recommendation...and a bit OT

Some time ago, a debate broke out on this NG, about incandescent
bulbs, vs CF. And some pretty heated conversation took place.

I don't recall if it was Bruce Jensen or Telamon, but one brought
up that CF lamps were, at best a stopgap. Which will eventually be
replaced by LEDs.

At the time, LED lamps for home lighting were $60 or more, and
produced prodigious amounts of radio interference.

Well, things are changing.

About two weeks ago, I ran across these:

http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=%EF%B...rchButton.y=15

I was intrigued by the 3000k color temperature, as opposed to the
2800k of the CF bulbs I'd been using, for a whiter, but still warm,
light. And the 8.5 watt draw, over the 13w draw of the equivalent output
CF bulbs.

So, I relamped my kitchen with them.

First blush, nicer, more color accurate light. And, using my light
meter, more of it for the energy input.

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed
fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent.

I ordered another case of them and relamped, where I could, the
rest of my house with. MUCH more light, now. And more eye pleasing
light. Especially when I"m working, this is a big help. All for half the
energy of CF bulbs.

And no measurable radio interference.

Now, this is only at two weeks. White LED's are well known to fade
over time. So, things may change, as this experiment continues.

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill.
More and better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your
energy usage.