Old August 8th 13, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DhiaDuit DhiaDuit is offline

Default LED Recommendation...and a bit OT

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:27:04 AM UTC-5, D. Peter Maus wrote:
Some time ago, a debate broke out on this NG, about incandescent

bulbs, vs CF. And some pretty heated conversation took place.

I don't recall if it was Bruce Jensen or Telamon, but one brought

up that CF lamps were, at best a stopgap. Which will eventually be

replaced by LEDs.

At the time, LED lamps for home lighting were $60 or more, and

produced prodigious amounts of radio interference.

Well, things are changing.

About two weeks ago, I ran across these:

http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=%EF%B...rchButton.y=15

I was intrigued by the 3000k color temperature, as opposed to the

2800k of the CF bulbs I'd been using, for a whiter, but still warm,

light. And the 8.5 watt draw, over the 13w draw of the equivalent output

CF bulbs.

So, I relamped my kitchen with them.

First blush, nicer, more color accurate light. And, using my light

meter, more of it for the energy input.

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed

fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable

incandescent.

I ordered another case of them and relamped, where I could, the

rest of my house with. MUCH more light, now. And more eye pleasing

light. Especially when I"m working, this is a big help. All for half the

energy of CF bulbs.

And no measurable radio interference.

Now, this is only at two weeks. White LED's are well known to fade

over time. So, things may change, as this experiment continues.

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill.

More and better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your

energy usage.

What name brand and part number, and how much do they cost?