Old August 8th 13, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LED Recommendation...and a bit OT

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, D. Peter Maus wrote:

And no measurable radio interference.

Now, this is only at two weeks. White LED's are well known to fade over
time. So, things may change, as this experiment continues.

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill. More and
better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your energy usage.

A couple of years ago, Ikea here had some LED desk lamps at 9.99, I think
an end of year clearout. So I bought some. I did like them, and they gave
off plenty of light, though more focused than a halogen or incandescent
desk lamp. I couldn't tell in the store how much light it put out, too
much light in the store, so I bought one and then went back when I saw
that the sample was fine at home.

The big problem was that they use switching supplies, and it was just
another noisy thing near radios. So I went back to halogen for the
bedside lamp, so I could actual hear things overnight. I have thought of
just making some analog supplies for that bedside lamp, it would be bigger
and hotter, but no noise.

I've been waiting for bigger LED bulbs to drop in price.

Michael