Old August 9th 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default LED Recommendation...and a bit OT

On 8/8/13 19:37 , Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 8/8/2013 11:27 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed
fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent.

Huh? You say "they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent." Even though you say they don't generate -more- heat, are
you implying that they generate heat -equal- to incandescent? If so,
that seems high, as a 50 w incandescent gives off 40-45 watts of heat.

I'm implying nothing. I've not done calorie/watt tests, and haven't
done temperature measurements, yet. It's still early in the experiement.

Do they run hotter than the CFLs?

Don't appear to, but then, we're also talking about the surface area
of distribution for said heat. CFL's are non metallic, which retain
heat. These have a large aluminum base, which doesn't.

Even though they said don't use the CFLs in a closed fixture, I've had
two 60 watt equivalent CFLs in a hallway closed fixture and two more of
the same in an enclosed kitchen fixture. They've been there for almost a
year and have not yet burned out...or burned the house down, to say
nothing of using 1/4 of the power -- only 30 watts trapped in the
fixtures, not 120 watts.

Precisely. I have three fixtures, also closed, that were also not
supposed to hold CFL's, but did. For a couple of years, now. But those
self-starters were not vented, either. These power supplies are.

Ultimately, LEDs will probably be the answer as soon as they get the
power up a bit more and the price down a bit more...although the price
you pointed out is pretty good.

It's not so much power, and illumination that they've got to get up.
So to speak. Although, these, according to my meters, put out rather
much more than the 50w equivalent they're rated at. More like a good 75W
incandescent. For an 8.5w cost..that's promising.