Old October 7th 04, 05:31 PM
Joel Kolstad

"J Autt" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for a handheld Spectrum Analyzer BK2650 (Link1 below) or
Field Strength Analyzer Protek 3290 (Link2). The problem is that I
cannot see the major differences between them, yet there's a major
price difference of $1000-2000. Can anyone tell me what the major
differences between a spectrum analyzer and Field Strength Analyzer?

Off-the-cuff, I'd suggest that one large reason for the price difference
that while B+K Precision is a pretty 'well known' US company (not in the
same league as, say, Fluke, but close), Protek is a Taiwanese company that
is nowhere near as well known. Their manufacturing costs may be
significantly less as well. I have a "GC Electronics" brand power supply
that's a virtual clone of a Tektronix power supply... it cost something like
$600, while the Real McCoy was more like $1300!

I'll be curious to see what others have to say...