Old August 29th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Time Warner truck

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:48:04 -0500, John S
wrote:

On 8/28/2013 11:42 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Most of the time, it's the ring type crimp F connectors like this:
http://www.showmecables.com/images/catalog/product/F-Type-Connector-With-1-4-Inch-Crimp-Ring-RG59-4.jpg
that caused problems.

What type/style F connector would you recommend?
John KD5YI

I steal mine directly from Comcast. I use whatever is available.

The problem is that many manufacturers have put considerable time and
effort into making their connectors as incompatible as possible with
their competitors connectors and tools. Fortunately, there several
good universal compression tools. This is what I settled on mostly
because it seems to fit all the various mutations and will also do BNC
and phono compression connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221178706506
It's the cheapest, of course. I have much better tools that I also
use, but the above tool works with most everything.

You'll also need a wire stripper.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310711345790
Buy at least 2 of these, as they tend to wear out (or become borrowed)
rather rapidly.

For connectors, it appears that Comcast likes Thomas and Betts
Smash-N-Seal connectors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161090412893
Note that the connectors for RG-59 and RG-6/u are quite different.
There are also different types for double shielded and quad shielded
RG-6/u. Watch the video and you'll see the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3L61ydvzM
The SNS1P6U connector is a good choice, because it sorta fits all the
common types of RG-6/u. The compression tool shown in the video is
quite good, has a built in stripper, but will only do F connectors,
not BNC or phono. Plan on ruining a few connectors before you learn
how to use the tool. There are videos on YouTube for how to work with
compression connectors.

Drivel: All of my 50 ohm antennas on my roof are connected to their
respective radios with 75 ohm RG-6/u coax, F connectors, and various
adapters. Also some RG-6/u with BNC compression connectors. No
problems and very little additional mismatch loss.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D