Old August 29th 13, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Time Warner truck

Sal wrote:

What brand of crimper and connector(s)? Are you happy with them? [I had
typed just "Are you happy?" and realized it looked very Zen.]

Almost any compression connector or tool will do. You can get them cheaply
at DIY stores if you look.

If you want a better tool and connectors you can get them on eBay (buy
from vendors, not random auctions).

Basically there are 3 kinds:

RG-59, RG-6 (not Quad Shield) and RG-6 QS.

You can also get universal ones, e.g. a universal RG-59 which fits all
variants or a universal RG-6 one, which fits all RG6 variants including
including QS.

Tools are needed depending upon the connectors. Almost all of them use
a tool which holds the connector end and compresses the body from the cable
end. There are small lever ones which look like pliers and the compression
is done in a handle (works fine).

There are also ones that look like pliers and the connector fits in the top.
I use them for BNC connectors.

There also is a kind where the tool hold the connector near the cable end
and pushes it all into a block. I got it for RG-6 BNC and RCA connectors,
but prefer the other kind.

If you mix and match make sure the connectors fit the tool and vice versa.

Avoid the really cheap ones where the front compress into the back,
I got some with a kit and never was able to get them to work. Looking on
eBay now, they seem to be gone.

Geoff