Old August 30th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Time Warner truck

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
However, what was referring to was mismatch loss.
Voltage_reflection off of a 75 ohm input:
Vr = (50-75)/(50+75) = 0.2
Voltage transmission into 75 ohm input:
T = 1 - (0.2^2) = 0.96
Converting to decibels, the loss will be:
Mismatch_Loss = 20 Log 0.96 = -0.35 dB

mismatch loss. Note that the mismatch loss is independent of the
length of coax cable.

I agree with what you have been saying.

I may not be reading the part above the way you wrote it, but think I am.

I am thinking that that .35 db loss due to the mismatch is in adition to
the loss per unit length. That is if you have 100 feet of coax with a loss
of say 3 db when matched, you will have a loss of 3.35 per 100 feet, and if
you go to 200 feet you will have a loss of 6.70 db and not 6.35.