Old September 2nd 13, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Marine VHF Radio for Truck

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/1/2013 6:38 PM, rickman wrote:
I am going to be providing shore monitoring for a kayak trip and will be
using a VHF radio from my pickup. I am thinking of installing a unit
rather than using a handheld. I took a look at what there is available
and it seems like the prices start at just over $100 for the unit itself
running up to $500 for a fancy unit that is mounted somewhere hidden and
all the controls in a hand held mic.

Other than the obvious features like the remote mic unit, what should I
look for in getting a quality unit that will work the best without
breaking the bank. I don't want to pay $500, but I will pay $200 or
more if there is a useful difference with the ~$100 units.

I doubt I'll be mounting this in a boat although that is a possibility
someday, I do have a ski boat. But more likely is that I'll mount it at
my house on a lake to provide some amount of emergency monitoring. So I
expect to mount it in the pickup so it can be easily removed and brought
into the house. I guess that means a second antenna too.

Words of advice?

The first question would be - what country are you in?

From the wording of the post, most likely the US. The use of $100 and
$500 is a big clue, though he could be in Canada, Autralia, New
New Zealand, or Trinidad. I would highly doubt it is any of the Asian
countries that have the dollar as the national currency.

The next question woulds be - what licenses do you hold? (Very little
is available without a license). I am assuming since you are asking
these questions you don't hold an amateur radio license.

If it is the US, no licence is required for VHF marine radio for any
vessel that is NOT required to carry radio equipment and traveling in
US waters.

If it is Canada, essentially the same applies.

The third question would be - what radios/bands are legal for that license?

VHF marine radios are legal for the VHF marine radio band without regard
for country.

Without even knowing what country you are in, the rest of the questions
are meaningless.

Anyway...

Like everything else these days, the Internet is full of reviews of VHF
marine radios.

Google is your friend.

--
Jim Pennino