Old September 3rd 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Marine VHF Radio for Truck

rickman wrote:
On 9/2/2013 1:03 PM, wrote:
Geoffrey S. wrote:

He said he wanted to monitor on land. Monitoring on land is not restricted.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "monitor". I do expect to
communicate with the kayaks.

There also is a story floating around the internet of a logging company
using marine radios on their boats and trucks being fined by the FCC.

Which is an obvious violation.

Where is the violation? As long as the trucks are only transmitting to
the ships, isn't that ok? Just having them shouldn't be a problem. The
issue is how you use them, no?

It depends.

Each truck has to have a license to transmit, but boats do not. If the
trucks are just monitoring and never transmit, they do not need a license.

Even if the trucks have licenses, the VHF marine band is restricted to
communications related to marine "stuff".

Do something like scheduling trucks would be a business use and would
not be appropriate for the marine band.

--
Jim Pennino